Thursday, January 29, 2009

Windows and Roof

Yesterday I stayed home to watch the installation of the windows, to make sure they did them right. It took several calls to the window manufacturer for clarification on some things. I had a sales rep from the Dupont company that makes the window flashing tape come out to train the crew on how to use a new type of flashing. They must not have paid attention because as soon as the guy left they tried to apply the product in a completely different manner. Me being bossy and not minding getting the looks, told them no, he said to do this this and this. By the third window I was pleased enough to leave them alone.

They installed all of the back windows, minus the arch, but I forgot to take pictures of that. Here's a picture of the first window they set. The largest of them all. Right above that big window, there is an Eyebrow arch window that will go there.
They also installed all of the windows on the NE side. Today they needed to get the arch window above the big great room one, and the others on the West side of the main floor since they need to return the lift truck they were renting.

On the picture you can also see a guy on the roof. The roofing crew showed up about 10:30 am, 7 guys. They got up on the roof with shovels and brooms and hammers and it was very noisy for a while as they cleaned the roof of all the ice and snow. Have to give them credit for doing an excellent job of cleaning the roof really good. There were two guys on the west side, two guys on the back and two guys on the east side. By noon they had papered the west side and almost half of the back side, and the east side. The roofer was getting upset that the framer didn't have the roof finished and kept pestering him to get it done. He also said that had it been summertime, he would have come in at 6 am and shingled the whole house by 8 pm. After seeing them work, I believe it.

At 1:30 the shingles arrived. Here is a picture of the delivery truck. It was a bit spendy to have the shingles delivered to the roof top, but there were 168 bundles of shingles, and they are heavy. So we either pay the crew to haul them up or pay the crane to drop them off on the roof top.

By 4 pm they had the west, south, east, and north side of the garage papered, and the drip edge installed at the edge of the roof (you can see a thin white line in the next picture). Everything except the front of the garage and house where the roof was not finished. Also by 4 pm they had started to shingle along the west side as you can see here. I didn't go around but I think there were two guys around the back as well. I would not be surprised to come home tonight and find all of the roof shingled if the framer finished framing it.

We'll see what sorf of progress they made. I'll try to get some pictures for tomorrow. If not, it will be Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment