Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The 1rst Buck is done.

I guess there is a lot of lumber in those bucks! It is taking a lot longer to get the pieces done, but Shawn was able to get the first buck done yesterday. Here's a picture of it. The other frames leaning against the barn are the inside frames for the rest of the windows. Here's a picture of my new toy. Shawn built a jig to help him frame the big outer frame of the windows square. That's what's sitting on top of the table saw, with two boards for the next frame sitting in the jig.

Shawn's drill ran out of battery, so yesterday on my way home from work I bought a corded drill for him to use. He was working on some rebar for the second row when I arrived. I joined him and we worked on setting more of the horizontal rebar for the second row

I went to pick up the Pike from daycare, and Shawn went back to building bucks.

Today, I went to work and Shawn stayed home and continued building bucks. I took off at 1 pm from work and headed to lowes to buy a few more things before heading home. We finally finished all of the rebar and tying the corner. After we were done we did one last round to check for rebar and ties. So we are ready to move on the next course, but first we have to get the bucks done. We also worked on loading more foam blocks on the truck and moving them into the basement so we are ready for the next level.

Also, Bill told us that every two rows we should double check our measurements to make sure the wall is staying at the same size. We did find that we were were off the measurements on a couple of walls, and now we have to ask what we need to do to correct that. That is what the common seam in the middle is for. You can increase or decrease that gap to adjust the wall as you go. Also, once we start setting up the bracing, we can correct some things like making the wall plumb and level.

We had hoped to have the bucks done today, but Shawn has been doing great work with those, and he's done it all himself. Tomorrow, I will stay home all day to help him finish up those bucks, and hopefully we'll be done with them and we can finally move on!

We are renting the bracing, so the longer we take, the more we spend, so we are in a hurry to get done, but we also want to take the time to do the work right.

No comments:

Post a Comment